Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mary In The Rain

Mary loved the rain
She loved the songs it made
at the windowsill
she'd hum along
she knew each note
always in tune
drip drop drip drop
she danced as it hit the
ground
and if she wanted to dance
along outside
she'd call for her rain boots
no coat
she never liked the coat
and from the windowsill
i would watch her dance
watch the mud tickle her boots
watch the rain kiss her hair
she never danced around puddles
she loved to splash right in them
and sing along
and dance along
Mary in the rain

The day she left
the rain sang her goodbye
the pitter patter
the drip drip drop
and I watched her from the
windowsill
I waved but she couldn't see me
the umbrella covered her face
drip drip drop drop
and she was gone
and then the rain stopped

I sit sometimes by the windowsill
hoping she'll come about
but neither rain nor Mary
appear
but I wait
looking out,
maybe it'll bring her back
send her back
maybe just maybe
the pitter patter pitter patter
will come along with Mary
Mama says she isn't coming
Maybe its cause of the drought
That's what's keeping her away

I clean her boots
and wipe the window
ready for her return
and then I kneel and
say a prayer
I say a prayer to the Rainmaker
to send the drops of life
so Mary will come about
and dance in them
and sing along
and sing along
I ask for the grayest of
clouds
and the rainiest of rains
cause if with it comes Mary
she'll never leave again.

No comments:

Post a Comment